The Chapel of Rest is situated on a grassy knoll overlooking the Yadkin River in Happy Valley, in the foothills of western North Carolina.
Made possible by a gift from Samuel Legerwood Patterson, the Chapel was built in 1887, and originally served as the chapel for the Patterson School for Boys.
In 1922, a new chapel was built on campus, and the Chapel of Rest fell into disrepair.
The Chapel of Rest Preservation Society was created in 1984 to preserve the historical integrity of the Chapel and to
maintain the building and grounds. Open to the public during daylight hours, the Chapel of Rest is a place to pause, meditate and enjoy an extended view of
the beautiful Happy Valley.